- 80,647 - 81,020 lbs Operating Weight
- 353 @1900 rpm Horsepower
- 8.2 - 9.8 yd³ Bucket Capacity
WA500-8 Yard Loader
The WA500-8 Yard Loader adds to the proven design and technology of the WA500-8 to help move even more material faster, move more trucks out of the yard, and move your business forward. The WA500-8 Yard Loader is configured with a large capacity bucket that is optimized based on material density with up to 9.8 yd3 capacity, additionally a large capacity bucket cylinder provides increased power and control to help handle those big loads. Added stability comes from 875/65 tires that increase ground contact and feature a low profile sidewall that reduces flex for added stability while dumping into trucks or hoppers. An additional counterweight also adds to the improved stability and allows the increased capacity of the bucket, while the front and rear brake cooling system helps to control brake temperatures in higher speed applications to ensure optimum performance in load and carry situations.
Proven Design and Technology
- Large capacity bucket is optimized based on material density, with up to 9.8 yd3 capacity. This helps increase productivity in applications such as truck loading, carrying, stock piling and charging hoppers.
- Large capacity bucket cylinder provides increased power and control to help handle big loads.
- 875/65 Tires increase ground contact area for improved stability. The low profile also reduces sidewall flex for more stability while dumping into trucks or hoppers.
- Joystick Steering (Optional) helps to reduce operator fatigue in repetitive V-Cycle loading.
- Additional Counterweight helps improve stability, and allows for increased bucket capacity while the contoured shape maximizes ground clearance for stock piling applications.
- Brake Cooling System (Front & Rear) helps control brake temperatures in higher speed applications to ensure optimum performance in load & carry situations.
Dual-Mode Engine Power Select System
This wheel loader offers two selectable operating modes — Power (P) and Economy (E).
- P Mode: This mode provides maximum power output for hard- digging operation or hill climbing.
- E Mode: This mode provides maximum fuel efficiency for general loading.
Automatic Digging System
The new automatic digging system actuates the bucket tilt and lifting operations by sensing the pressure applied to the work equipment. This system can alleviate operator's fatigue and optimize bucket load. This system is activated through the LCD color monitor panel.
New Operator Seat with Electronic Pilot Control (EPC) Levers
A new standard, heated, air-suspension seat provides enhanced support on rough roads and dampens machine vibrations, providing a more comfortable ride for the operator. An EPC-lever console is built into, and moves with, the seat. The angle of the armrest is fully adjustable for optimum operator comfort. A secondary F-N-R switch is incorporated in to work equipment lever configurations.
Operator Identification Function
An operator identification (ID) code can be set for each operator, and used to manage operation information of individual machines through KOMTRAX. Data sent from KOMTRAX can be used to analyze operation status by operator job, as well as by machine.
Komatsu SmartLoader Logic
The WA500-8 features Komatsu SmartLoader Logic, which controls engine torque to match machine demands. For example, engine torque needs are higher for digging in V-shape loading, but lower when driving with an empty bucket. This system optimizes the engine torque for all applications to minimize fuel consumption. Komatsu SmartLoader Logic functions automatically and doesn’t interfere with operation, saving fuel without decreasing production.
Large-Capacity Torque Converter
The Komatsu-designed power train features a large capacity torque converter for optimum efficiency. The WA500-8 has improved efficiency in V-shape loading applications because the increased tractive effort does not require full throttle. The large capacity torque converter allows the loader to up-shift gears faster for improved acceleration and hill climbing ability. The WA500-8 achieves high gear ranges and maintains high travel speed when working in load-and-carry applications. In most applications, production is increased and fuel consumption is reduced, resulting in improved fuel efficiency.
Standard Rear View Monitoring System
The dedicated, full-color monitor on the right side of the cab provides the operator with a rear view of the machine. This monitor can be always on or only on when the loader shifts into reverse. Guidelines provide the operator with visual cues for the width of the loader.
Remote Bucket and Boom Positioner
The operator can set the bucket angle and remote boom positioner from the cab. Both upper and lower boom limits are adjustable in the cab with the push of a button. The bucket positioner can store three horizontal settings, allowing the operator to easily change attachments without resetting the bucket level position.
Komatsu Integrated Load Meter System
The integrated load meter system displays information directly to the machine’s main monitor display and information is also available remotely via KOMTRAX. Load sub total and cancel functions are performed with buttons integrated to the machine work levers.
Swing-Out Type Cooling Fan and Wider Core Radiator
The cooling fan swings out for easier cleaning. The coolers feature wider-spaced cooling fins to reduce clogging.
||Variable geometry turbo-charged, after-cooled, cooled EGR|
|Number of cylinders||
|Bore x Stroke||140 mm x 165 mm||5.51" x 6.50"|
|Piston displacement||15.24 ltr||930 in³|
|SAE J1995 - Gross||266 kW||357 HP|
|ISO 9249 / SAE J1349 - Net||263 kW||353 HP|
|Fan drive method for radiator cooling||
||Gear pump, force-lubrication|
||Dry type with double elements and dust evacuator, plus dust indicator|
*EPA Tier 4 Final emissions certified
Torque converter - three-elements, one-stage, two-phase
Transmission - Full-powershift, planetary type
|Travel speed (Measured with 23.5-25 tires):||Forward||Reverse*|
|1st gear||7.5 km/h
|2nd gear (Lock-up clutch ON)||13.1 km/h
|3rd gear||22.2 km/h
|3rd gear (Lock-up clutch ON)||23.7 km/h
|4th gear||35.5 km/h
|4th gear (Lock-up clutch ON)||37.3 km/h
Axles and Final Drives
|Drive system||Four-wheel drive|
|Rear||Center-pin support, full-floating, 20° total oscillation|
|Reduction gear||Spiral bevel gear|
|Differential gear||Conventional type|
|Final reduction gear||Planetary gear, single reduction|
|Service brakes||Hydraulically actuated, wet disc brakes actuate on four wheels|
|Parking brake||Wet disc brake|
|Emergency brake||Parking brake is commonly used|
Type - Articulated type, fully-hydraulic power steering
Steering angle: 36° (40° to max end stop)
Minimum turning radius at the center of outside tire: 7050 mm 23' 2"
|Capacity at rated rpm||120 ltr/min||31.7 U.S. gal/min|
|Relief valve setting||24.5 MPa / 250 kgf/cm²||3,555 psi|
| Hydraulic cylinders:
||Double-acting, piston type.|
|Number of cylinders||
|Bore x stroke||100 mm x 486 mm||3.9" x 19.1"|
|Capacity at rated rpm||320 ltr/min||84.8 U.S gal/min|
|Relief valve setting||34.3 MPa / 350 kgf/cm²||4,980 psi|
||Double-acting, piston type.|
|Number of cylinders:||Bore x Stroke:||Bore x Stroke:|
|Boom cylinder / 2||160 mm x 898 mm||6.3" x 35.4"|
|Bucket cylinder / 1||200 mm x 645 mm||7.9" x 25.4"|
||Raise, hold, lower, and float|
||Tilt-back, hold, and dump|
| Hydraulic cycle time (rated load in bucket):
Service Refill Capacities
|Cooling system||110 ltr||29.1 U.S. gal|
|Fuel tank||473 ltr||124.9 U.S. gal|
|Engine||37 ltr||9.8 U.S. gal|
|Hydraulic system||337 ltr||89.0 U.S. gal|
|Axle (each front and rear)||95 ltr||25.1 U.S. gal|
|Torque converter and transmission||71 ltr||18.8 U.S. gal|
|DEF tank||36 ltr||9.5 U.S. gal|
- Alternator, 90 A
- Auto shift transmission with mode select system
- Automatic digging system
- Automatic hydraulic-driven fan with automatic reverse rotation
- Back-up alarm
- Batteries, 160 Ah/12 V (2)
- Battery disconnect
- Brake cooling system
- Boom kick-out, in-cab adjustable
- Bucket positioner, upper/lower in-cab adjustable, 3 positions
- Color rear view camera and monitor
- Counterweight, standard and additional for Yard Loader (logging counterweight)
- Electronically Controlled Suspension System (ECSS)
- Engine, Komatsu SAA6D140E-7 diesel
- Engine shut-off system, electric
- Engine shutdown secondary switch
- EPC fingertip controls with F-N-R switch, two levers
- Equipment Management Monitoring System (EMMS)
- Lights (central warning, brake oil pressure, engine oil pressure, parking brake, cooling fan reverse, KDPF restriction, seat belt caution, Komtrax message)
- Gauges (Engine water temperature, ecology, Fuel level, DEF levels, Hydraulic oil temperature, speedometer/tachometer)
- Front fenders
- Fuel pre-filter with water separator
- Horn, electric
- Komatsu SmartLoader Logic
- Komatsu Auto Idle Shutdown
- KOMTRAX® Level 5
- Lift cylinders and large capacity bucket cylinder
- Back-up light, LED
- Stop and tail light, LED
- Turn signal, two front and two rear with hazard switch
- Working lights, halogen, two front cab mount
- Working lights, halogen, two front fender mount
- Working lights, halogen, two rear
- Load meter*
- Loader linkage with standard lift arm
- Lock-up torque converter
- Parking brake, electric
- Radiator, wider core
- Radiator mask, swing out
- Rear full fenders
- Rear view mirrors, outside (2) inside (2)
- ROPS/FOPS Cab Level 2
- 2 x DC12V electrical outlets
- Auto air conditioner
- Cigarette lighter, 24V
- Color LCD/TFT multi-monitor
- Cup holder
- Floor mat
- Operator seat, reclining, air suspension type, heated
- Radio, AM/FM with AUX input jack
- Rear defroster, electric
- Seatbelt, two-point retractable, 76mm 3" width
- Space for Lunch box
- Steering wheel, tilt and telescopic
- Sun visor, front window
- Windshield washer and wiper, front with intermittent
- Windshield washer and wiper, rear
- Service brakes, wet disc type
- Starting motor, 11 kW
- Transmission, four forward and four reverse
- Two-spool valve for boom and bucket control
- Vandalism protection kit
* Restrictions apply based on machine configuration. Load meter is not available for machines with
MF monolever, 3rd spool hydraulic arrangement or coupler. Consult your local Komatsu distributor
- Advanced joystick steering system
- Auxiliary steering (SAE)
- Engine pre-cleaner with extension
- Graco autolube system
- Joystick/wheel steering control system
- Limited slip differential (F&R)
- Mono-lever loader control with transmission F-N-R switch
- Power train guard
- Rims and tires, 875/65-R29 XHAZ L2
- Various ACS Bucket options
- Various Hensley Bucket options